Recent changes to the SpeedLIMIT website
Tuesday 11 April 2017
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2017 figures
Tuesday 12 April 2016
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2016 figures
Thursday 14 May 2015
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2015 figures
Monday 21 April 2014
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2014 figures
- Even more speed limit reductions spotted on the A535 and B5358 in East Cheshire, a council that is rapidly establishing a reputation for extreme anti-motorist policies.
Thursday 21 November 2013
- Further speed limit reductions added on the A62 in Oldham, the A50 in Cheshire and the unclassified Monk's Road in Derbyshire.
Tuesday 23 July 2013
- Further speed limit reductions added on the A34 and A556 in Cheshire, the A58 near Bolton and the A500 in Staffordshire.
Wednesday 3 July 2013
Thursday 16 May 2013
Tuesday 16 April 2013
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2013 figures
Tuesday 17 April 2012
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2012 figures
Saturday 24 March 2012
- Three roads in Scotland - the Bealach na Ba, the road to Kinloch Hourn, and all roads on the Isle of Man, added to Britain's Best Driving Roads
Saturday 4 February 2012
Wednesday 18 January 2012
Thursday 27 October 2011
- Yet more speed limit reductions noted on the A56 and B5159 in Cheshire around Lymm, and on the A6015 at Birch Vale in Derbyshire.
Thursday 28 July 2011
- Another speed limit reduction spotted on the B5391 at Pickmere in Cheshire.
- A picture of an absurd "Keep Off The Grass" sign added to the Funnies photo gallery.
Sunday 24 April 2011
Tuesday 12 April 2011
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2011 figures
Thursday 29 July 2010
Friday 23 July 2010
Friday 28 May 2010
- A new (to me) speed camera spotted on the A58 Bolton Road in Bury.
Friday 21 May 2010
Sunday 16 May 2010
- New SPECS cameras noted on the A537 Cat & Fiddle road and the nearby A54 in Cheshire.
- Three new-style Gatso cameras noted on the A6 in Stockport at Hazel Grove and Heaton Moor.
- Another speed limit reduction from 60 to 50 - and a particularly objectionable one - spotted on the A56 between Walton and Daresbury in the Warrington BC area of Cheshire.
Tuesday 20 April 2010
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2010 figures
Thursday 1 April 2010
- Three sets of Redspeed speed-averaging cameras on the A6104 Victoria Avenue in Manchester added to the Speed Cameras page. And no, this is not an April Fool!
Saturday 20 February 2010
Friday 19 February 2010
Friday 8 January 2010
Monday 14 December 2009
Saturday 12 December 2009
- Yet another speed limit reduction spotted on the A580 at Lane Head in Wigan MBC, which has been reduced from 60 to 50 only about three years after being cut from NSL (70) to 60.
Wednesday 23 September 2009
Sunday 19 July 2009
- The removal (yes, really) of three Gatso cameras in Stockport noted.
- A new (to me) speed camera spotted on the A665 near Radcliffe.
- Further speed limit reductions noted on the B5081 in Cheshire, and the A580 between Astley and Swinton, and the A6 in Hazel Grove, in Greater Manchester.
Saturday 20 June 2009
- A rather questionable sign near Kilmarnock added to the Funnies photo gallery.
Monday 25 May 2009
Friday 22 May 2009
Tuesday 21 April 2009
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2009 figures
Tuesday 6 May 2008
- The Links page tidied up and a number of dead links removed
Saturday 19 April 2008
- Further speed limit reductions spotted on the A54 in Cheshire and the B5470 and A6 in Derbyshire. This is becoming very depressing at the moment.
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2008 figures
Saturday 12 April 2008
Friday 28 March 2008
Sunday 23 March 2008
Saturday 8 March 2008
- A picture of a telegraph pole in the middle of a road junction in Ireland added to the Funnies photo gallery.
Saturday 1 March 2008
- Two particularly objectionable speed limit reductions noted on the A5004 and A515 in Derbyshire. The A515 in particular is one of the best-aligned single carriageway A-roads I know. I've also added some photos of the one on the A515.
Saturday 16 February 2008
- The speed limit reduction on Belmont Way in Stockport added to the listing. This has actually been in place for about nine months but was initially only a temporary reduction associated with roadworks. Also see pictures here.
Friday 25 January 2008
- Two more speed limit reductions on the A557 and on an unclassified road south of Warrington added to the list of shame
Tuesday 9 October 2007
- A link added to Fun Roads, an in-depth look at some of the most enjoyable driving roads in the UK
Saturday 22 September 2007
- Another speed limit reduction spotted on the B5166 near Manchester Airport, although one of the less objectionable
Wednesday 22 August 2007
Sunday 5 August 2007
- Two new (to me) speed cameras added on the A56 in Sale and the B5167 in Northenden
- Two speed limit reductions spotted on the A6017 in Tameside, one an utterly absurd reduction from 30 to 20 on a wide urban main road
Friday 15 June 2007
Monday 28 May 2007
- A photo of a speed camera in Boston, Lincs, covered by a beer crate added to the Funnies photo gallery
- Further speed limit reductions noted on the A580 East Lancs Road in the Knowsley and Wigan MBC areas
Friday 25 May 2007
- New speed cameras added on the A57 and A5145 in Manchester
- A list of links to North-West based solicitors specialising in motoring offences added to the Frequently Asked Questions page
- A particularly depressing speed limit reduction from NSL to 50 spotted along the whole length of the A57 Snake Pass in Derbyshire
Saturday 21 April 2007
Tuesday 17 April 2007
Sunday 8 April 2007
Saturday 31 March 2007
- A picture of an absurdly short cycle lane in Widnes added to the Funnies photo gallery.
Saturday 24 March 2007
Saturday 10 February 2007
- Another regrettable 40 - 30 suburban speed limit reduction spotted on the B5358 between Heald Green and Handforth in the Stockport MBC area.
Friday 5 January 2007
- Two more speed limit reductions spotted on the A5034 and A535 in Cheshire, although these are among the less objectionable ones.
Saturday 16 December 2006
- A link added to Mind Driving, by Stephen Haley, an excellent new book on the psychology of safe driving
- A link added to an excellent article by Austin Williams entitled Britain Deserves Better about the government's controversial road charging plans
Saturday 9 December 2006
- A new speed camera spotted on the A34 Kingsway in Manchester
- A regrettable 40 - 30 speed limit reduction spotted on the A559 in Northwich
- A photo of an incredibly dangerous anti-overtaking scheme on the A39 in Devon added the Anti-Car Measures photo gallery
Sunday 22 October 2006
- A picture added to the Funnies photo gallery warning drivers to "Beware of the Bus!"
- A picture added to the Speed Cameras photo gallery showing an example of the new requirement to have a combined camera warning sign and speed limit repeater within the same field of view as a fixed camera
Saturday 14 October 2006
Monday 9 October 2006
- A link added to the new DfT speed limit guidance, which provides much encouragement for local highway authorities to reduce existing limits
- Yet more speed limit reductions seen in Cheshire on the B5085 at Mobberley and the A533 near Sandbach
- A link added to the new DfT recommendations on speed camera signing
- A new link added to an article entitled Global warming: the chilling effect on free speech in which Brendan O’Neill argues that the demonisation of 'climate change denial' is an affront to open and rational debate
Sunday 10 September 2006
Saturday 27 May 2006
Sunday 7 May 2006
- A new speed limit reduction spotted on the A34 at Marton, Cheshire - although this is one of the less objectionable ones
Saturday 21 April 2006
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2006 figures
Friday 7 April 2006
Saturday 25 February 2006
- Two Monitron speed cameras spotted on the A664 Rochdale Road in Manchester
- And another speed limit reduction spotted on the A580 East Lancs Road through St Helens MBC in Merseyside (this was actually imposed in 2005, but as with cameras I only note the ones I've personally experienced)
Tuesday 31 January 2006
Saturday 17 December 2005
Saturday 3 December 2005
- A new link added to The Grumpy Old Sod, who turns his vitriol against many aspects of modern British life, but seems to have a particular interest in roads and driving, and also speaks very highly of this website
- A new links section added for Local Campaigning Sites
- Two speed cameras spotted on Errwood Road, Manchester
Saturday 12 November 2005
- Two speed limit reductions noted on the B6101 between Marple and New Mills, and the A671 between Royton and Rochdale
Saturday 15 October 2005
Saturday 8 October 2005
- A link added to PetrolPrices.com, a very useful site - particularly in view of the current high fuel prices - that shows the cheapest petrol stations in your local area
Saturday 1 October 2005
Monday 19 September 2005
Saturday 3 September 2005
Monday 29 August 2005
Saturday 6 August 2005
Saturday 23 July 2005
- Another speed limit reduction noted on the A675 between Bolton and Preston, this one particularly inappropriate and annoying on a high-quality rural A-road
Tuesday 14 June 2005
- Yet another speed limit reduction noted on the B6194 Lees New Road between Ashton and Oldham, marking the disappearance of perhaps the last NSL in the spaces between the major Greater Manchester towns
- And another speed camera spotted on the A669 in Springhead, Oldham
Saturday 28 May 2005
- Two speed limit reductions noted on the A58 Bolton Ring Road, although one of them has in fact been in place for some years
- A new (to me) speed camera spotted on the A58 in Heywood, Rochdale
Saturday 14 May 2005
- Five new speed cameras added on the A556 in Cheshire and at various locations in Manchester
Sunday 24 April 2005
- The comparative table of Petrol Prices updated for March 2005 figures
- A speed limit reduction noted on the A576 at Heaton Park, North Manchester
- A picture of a slippy slip road added to the Funnies photo gallery
Saturday 9 April 2005
Sunday 20 March 2005
Saturday 12 March 2005
- New photos added to the Speed Limit Survivals photo gallery, showing surprising, but not unreasonable NSLs, at Tabley and Broomedge in Cheshire
- A link added to a fascinating pamphlet entitled The Political Root of Road Accidents, written in the 1940s by Lieut. Col. Mervyn O'Gorman, which makes a number of points that still have a resonance today, in particular that simply blaming road accidents on "bad driving" is profoundly counterproductive
- A picture of a blocked-off car park entrance in Stockport added to the Funnies photo gallery
- A link added to the Thurrock Road Safety Campaign, whose website includes many pictures of poor signage and road layouts in South Essex
- Comments on the Citroën C4, new Ford Focus and new BMW 3-series added to Negative Trends in Modern Car Design
Tuesday 1 March 2005
Tuesday 8 February 2005
- A link added to the new Open Road group which campaigns for road building and improvements in the UK
- A picture of an improbable 20 mph zone in Sheffield added to the Funnies photo gallery
Wednesday 26 January 2005
Saturday 22 January 2005
- Pictures of a twin Gatso installation in Hazel Grove added to the Funnies and Speed Cameras photo galleries.
Friday 7 January 2005
- A picture added to the Anti-Car Measures photo gallery showing a ludicrous and obstructive hatching scheme on a 3-lane section of the A4130 in Oxfordshire
- A new link added to Wintonsworld, where retired Reuters journalist Neil Winton offers his forthright views on cars, the motor industry and wider issues
Monday 27 December 2004
Saturday 30 October 2004
- Two new speed cameras added on the A50 and A5011 near Alsager in South Cheshire
Saturday 2 October 2004
- A new article added entitled Fabulous Forties, tracing the rise and fall of the suburban 40 mph speed limit, which has made a major contribution to both road safety and traffic movement in major conurbations.
- A photograph of a 20 mph speed limit in the Somerset town of Dulverton added to the Speed Limit Signing photo gallery
Saturday 25 September 2004
- Pre-Motorway New Roads has now been moved to its own website as it deals with historical matters that are not really within the remit of this site.
Saturday 4 September 2004
Saturday 21 August 2004
Saturday 7 August 2004
- Is the Price Right? revised and updated in the light of the recent announcement that the Department for Transport are actively considering a road pricing scheme
Saturday 31 July 2004
Saturday 17 July 2004
- A new article added entitled Speeding by Design which examines the issue of why we allow the sale of cars which can do twice the motorway speed limit, a favourite canard of anti-car campaigners.
Saturday 10 July 2004
- New speed cameras spotted in Hollinwood, Oldham, Higher Broughton, Salford and Rusholme, Manchester.
Sunday 4 July 2004
- A new article Hide and Seek added questioning the claim that hidden speed cameras would improve road safety.
Saturday 26 June 2004
Sunday 30 May 2004
- Another speed limit reduction spotted on the A672 north-east of Oldham.
- The A68 from Darlington to Carter Bar added to Britain's Best Driving Roads - although unfortunately not the onward continuation in Scotland to Dalkeith which is beset by Gatsos placed on all the decent overtaking straights, thus increasing driver frustration and danger.
Monday 17 May 2004
Saturday 8 May 2004
- Pictures of a 20 mph limit in Heaton Moor, Stockport, added to the Traffic Calming photo gallery
- A pictures of a 30 mph repeater with a speed camera sign on the A6 in Stockport added to the 30 mph Limits photo gallery
- Two speed limit reductions noted on unclassified roads at Comberbach, Cheshire and Furness Vale, Derbyshire, neither particularly objectionable.
Tuesday 20 April 2004
Thursday 15 April 2004
Monday 12 April 2004
Friday 2 April 2004
Saturday 6 March 2004
Saturday 7 February 2004
Saturday 24 January 2004
Monday 12 January 2004
Saturday 20 December 2003
Saturday 6 December 2003
- Details added about the planned downgrading of the unique A6144(M) to all-purpose road status
- A couple of recent speed limit reductions spotted on the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge
Friday 28 November 2003
- A link added to an excellent article by John Redwood putting the political case for the private car, an argument that is not heard often enough nowadays
Saturday 15 November 2003
- Two new speed cameras added at Delamere and Helsby in Cheshire
- The fact that the northbound camera on the A5103 Princess Parkway in South Manchester is no longer hidden behind a sign noted
Saturday 8 November 2003
Saturday 25 October 2003
Saturday 11 October 2003
Saturday 27 September 2003
- A picture of a Tameside 20 mph zone that goes nowhere added to the Funnies photo gallery
Saturday 13 September 2003
Saturday 30 August 2003
Various new pictures added to the photo galleries as follows:
Saturday 23 August 2003
- The B6277 in the Pennines and A835 in North-West Scotland added to Britain's Best Driving Roads. Also a note added to the page about the raising of the speed limit on the unclassified road from Garelochhead to Coulport from 40 mph to NSL (60 mph)
Saturday 16 August 2003
- Pictures of the dangerous traffic calming scheme in Little Stretton, near Warrington added to the Anti-Car Measures photo gallery
- Pictures of Great Budworth in Cheshire, a village with no posted speed limit below the NSL, but very slow safe speeds in the village core, added to Speed Limit Survivals
Tuesday 5 August 2003
Monday 4 August 2003
Thursday 31 July 2003
- New link added to www.freedom-move.org, a website that looks at the philosophical basis of promoting freedom of movement by car
- Link added to an article by Gerard Jackson entitled The War Against the Car that examines anti-car campaigning from an Australian perspective
- A section index added to the links page
Saturday 19 July 2003
Thursday 17 July 2003
Friday 11 July 2003
Sunday 29 June 2003
Friday 26 June 2003
A picture added showing the welcome removal of the "bonkers" road marking scheme on Broadstone Road, Stockport
Return to Index Page